Door County’s Impact Goals to be facilitated by United Way of Door County
Basic Needs: Helping to meet basic needs for food, transportation, housing, safety, and jobs.
- Work to insure that the Door County average unemployment rate is less than the State of Wisconsin average unemployment rate throughout the year.
- Decrease the number of food insecure among those who are at or below 250% of the federal poverty level.
- Decrease the number of individuals in unsustainable housing, based on calls/reports made in 2015
- Make Door County safer for vulnerable populations (older adults, victims of domestic and sexual violence, mentally and physically challenged, shut-ins, and the families of these specific populations) by enhancing the safety services available to them by 10% by 2015.
- Provide access to public transportation services to 15% more individuals than in 2015.
- Increase access to mentoring/job coach/technical education programs for all, beginning with high school age students.
Community: Enhancing neighbors, individuals, and families to continue to build strong relationships in caring for each other and understanding the roles and challenges each faces.
- Encourage healthy relationships among youth and young adults and encourage responsible choices by decreasing the occurrence of teen pregnancy, teens needing treatment for STD’s, and teen violence.
- Identify and advocate for “3rd places” in communities that are safe and nurture “family” members.
- Increase the availability and effectiveness of abuse (emotional, physical, financial) prevention programs measured by the decreased use of reactionary services.
- Increase educational resources available to “caregivers” of adults by 5% annually.
- Increase educational resources available to parents/guardians by 5% annually.
- Increase the hours of available childcare for weekend, extended hours, sick, and/or summer programming by 5% by 2016 in any of these areas.
- Increase opportunities for children to obtain school supplies and payment of school fees.
- Maintain and/or increase the level of low or no cost “family” events based on those offered in 2016.
- Maintain affordability of licensed childcare centers.
- Promote personal financial stability and literacy.
Health Care: Encouraging healthy lifestyles, access to dental, hearing, mental, primary, and vision health care.
- Ensure the provision of affordable, accessible, and available mental health care (measure reduction in waiting lists).
- Ensure the provision of affordable, accessible, and available primary health care including vision and hearing.
- Increase available hours of affordable dental care for adults and children in Door County.
- Increase healthy lifestyle knowledge base of Door County residents.
- Increase the knowledge base of early intervention methods for primary health care.
- Promote/advocate for Door County residents to increase their healthy behaviors.
- Reduce the stigma around mental and emotional health issues in order to encourage community acceptance and integration.
Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse (AODA): Challenging the community to embrace change in the culture involving alcohol and other drug use.
- Advocate for zero tolerance for drunk driving and other behaviors associated with AODA.
- Increase the knowledge base related to the effects of alcohol and other drug use.
- Promote/advocate for community dialogue to define healthy, responsible, and appropriate alcohol and other drug use.
- Promote programs to support individuals and their families recovering from substance abuse.
- Focus on the impact of AODA and the role that it plays in such behaviors including but not limited to: inappropriate sexual behaviors, violent acts, impaired mental and physical functioning, and inappropriate role modeling.
- Support local and statewide legislation that promotes cultural change in alcohol and other drug use.